Monday, September 24, 2012

Activism....Say What?



What does activism really mean? How can we assert our own personal values without conforming to the crowd? How can we be ourselves but still a part of the collective? Is this possible?
                I personally see a lot of pressure in the activist community to have an ideology. You have to have some cause/issue you work for or else….what are you really? A crazy hippie? A wanna-be?
                I’m not sure what the real answer is. I don’t know what it really means to dedicate your life to something. At least, on that level. “True” activists are willing to die for what the believe in. They will let nothing and no one stop them. It is often these dedicated people who are responsible for social change.
                So does that mean being that type of activist is best? Or am I using the American value of success to derive that conclusion? What makes someone successful, what are the characteristics of success?
I’m keeping an open mind for now. Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment