Saturday, October 20, 2012

Election Predictions


The election is getting closer and I can feel my anxiety rising with each passing day.  In the summer, I thought Obama had it in the bag, but lately I’m not so sure. It seems Romney has gained some ground with his choice of running mate, win at the first debate…and a Thursday Gallop pull that showed Romney has a 7 point lead. Yikes….now I’m starting to panic.
            
                  I’m not why this is happening. Obama is clearly the better candidate; he supports marriage equality (and is the first sitting President to ever do so), believes that everyone should pay their fair share, is making health care more affordable and giving women the equality they deserve. Romney on the other hand believes in “traditional” marriage, wants to cut the wealthiest American’s taxes by $250,000, wants to repeal the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) and when asked about how he felt about the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, he said he would have to “get back to you” .

            So how is this race even close? Romney represents everything that is wrong about American politics…rich men using the system to gain power and wealth. He is not someone that I believe belongs in politics. I want a president who understands the American Dream and who has also struggled. Who hasn’t had their dreams given to them on a silver platter.  I believe that Barack Obama is that man. He, in my opinon is the best person for the job. He grew up poor without a father, put himself through school, went on to be a community organizer in the depths of Chicago, then put himself through Harvard for his law degree and became the first black editor of the Harvard Law Review. He then went on to be an activist and professor at the University of Chicago. He has worked his way up and is a prime example of the American Dream.

      My predictions? I do think Obama will win. The margins though, will be close. I think it will come out to be about 53/47. I don’t think we have the election won already and have to keep working to ensure that Barack Obama continues his term as President. That is why I am volunteering at my local field office tomorrow, to show my support and give a few hours of my time. Being involved is crucial to our democratic process; make your voice known and heard. And even if you don’t support President Obama’s reelection, please go vote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment